There is no sect (no matter how heretical and bad) that has ever produced a list of scholars that literally championed the belief in the distortion of the Qur’ān except the Rāfidī Twelver Shia sect. This evil sect that masquerades itself as the ‘school of Ahlul-Bayt‘ has outdone the worst of the worst sects.
Needless to say that we are not talking about some fringe opinion or rejected minority group but rather about top Shia authorities, among them top Hadith scholars (Muhaddithūn) who argued that logic itself (!) dictates that the Qur’ān has been distorted (as it was compiled by the ‘evil’ Sahāba and not the so called infallible Imāms).
Now if you think that it can’t get worse, there are actually major Shia scholars (again, not just some random condemned loners) that brazenly stated that believing in the distortion and corruptness of the Qur’ān is from the necessities (من ضروريات) of the Shia Twelver sect, literally the opposite belief of Sunni/Ahlus-Sunnah (i.e. believing in the soundness of the Qur’ān being from the necessities of the religion). The belief in the corruption and distortion i.e. that the Qur’an has been tampered with (at the hands of the Sahaba) is inseparable from Twelver Imamism, it is an integral part of it.
Here the evidence:
اعلم أن الذي يظهر من ثقة الإسلام محمد بن يعقوب الكليني طاب ثراه أنه كان يعتقد التحريف والنقصان في القرآن لأنه روى روايات كثيرة في هذا المعنى في كتاب الكافي الذي صرح في أوله بأنه كان يثق فيما رواه فيه ولم يتعرض لقدح فيها ولا ذكر معارض لها، وكذلك شيخه علي بن إبراهيم القمي ره فإن تفسيره مملوء منه وله غلو فيه [. . .] ولقد قال بهذا القول أيضاً ووافق القمي والكليني ره جماعة من أصحابنا المفسرين كالعياشي والنعماني وفرات بن إبراهيم وغيرهم، وهو مذهب أكثر محققي محدثي المتأخرين، وقول الشيخ الأجل أحمد بن أبي طالب الطبرسي كما ينادي به كتابه الاحتجاج وقد نصره شيخنا العلامة باقر علوم أهل البيت عليه السلام وخادم أخبارهم عليه السلام في كتابه بحار الأنوار، وبسط الكلام فيه ما لا مزيد عليه.وعندي في وضوح صحة ذا القول بعد تتبع الأخبار وتفحص الآثار بحيث يمكن الحكم بكونه من ضروريات مذهب التشيع وإنه من أكبر مفاسد غصب الخلافة فتدبر حتى تعلم توهم الصدوق ره في هذا المقام
“You must know that what is apparent from Thiqat al-Islam Muhammad ibn Ya’qūb al-Kulaynī, may Allah increase his richness, is that he used to believe in the corruption of the Qur’ān and the deletion from it because he narrated many narrations that show this in his book al-Kāfi which he openly said at its beginning that he believes in everything he narrated in his book, he did not comment on or criticize any of the narrations nor did he mention anything which contradicts this matter, this is also done by his Shaykh and teacher ‘Alī ibn Ibrāhīm al-Qummī, may Allāh have mercy on his soul, who filled his book of Tafsīr with these narrations and he went into extremes in this matter… Also from those who used to say this (belief in the corruption and distortion of the Qur’ān) and agree with al-Kulaynī and al-Qummī, may Allāh have mercy on them, are a group from our companions in the field of Tafsīr such as al-‘Ayyāshī and al-Nu’māni and Furāt ibn Ibrāhīm and others, and , also the saying of the greatest of scholars Ahmad ibn Abī Tālib al-Tabrisi as he continuously stated it (the belief in the distortion of the Qur’an) in his book al-Ihtijāj and from those who supported this saying was our Shaykh and scholar, the Baqir ‘Ulum Ahl al-Bayt, peace be upon him, and their servant, may peace be upon them, in his book Bihar al-Anwar. He talked about the matter extensively and we could not add anything more to what he said. I have many proofs for the authenticity of this truthful saying after tracing and researching the narrations that enable us to rule that and it is the result of the big corruption which occurred as a result of usurping the caliphate, so observe with wisdom and you will know that al-Saduq only had illusions in this matter.”
Reference: Muqaddimat Tafsir al-Burhanm – Mir`at al-Anwar wa Mishkat al-Asrar by Grand Ayatullah Abu al-Hassan al-’Amili al-Fatuni, printed in al-A’lami, Beirut, Lebanon, second introduction pages 83 and 84.
A commentary to the above Kufriyat:
- The author of the top Shia Hadith book, al-Kulaini, believed in the corruption and distortion of the Qur’an (al-Thaql al-Akbar) in return the Shia world rewards him with the title ‘Thiqat al-Islam‘ (the trustee of Islam’), praises him with showers, sends blessings on him and buried him in a mausoleum! This is the same individual from whom the Shia expect others to take their religion from, from disbeliever in the correctness of the Qur’an, from a believer in the corruption of the Qur’an, from a vile Kafir who has filled the best Shia Hadith book with narrations that support the belief in the distortion of the Qur’an!
- ‘Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Qummi (from the city of Qum, homeland to many top Shia narrators aka heretics and liars that have attributed all sorts of Kufr and lies – like the belief in the distortion of the Qur’an – to the Ahl al-Bayt), author of one of the top Shia Tafsir books (which he filled with narrations in support of the corruption of the Qur’an!), he’s the teacher and Shaykh of al-Kulayni and of course also believed in the corruption of the Qur’an! A chain of Kuffar (disbelievers) from whom the gullible Shia masses take their religion from (‘school of Ahl al-Bayt‘).
- The majority (!) of the researching scholars and top Hādīth scholars (Muhaddithūn) of the Twelver Imamite Shia disbelieved in the correctness of the Qur’an and championed the belief in the corruption and distortion of the Qur’an. It is important to note that many of these scholars lived in Post-Safavid Persia i.e. majority Shia Persia that was the first ever powerful openly Anti-Sunni Twelver Shia empire in the world under which Shia scholars could openly express the most disgusting and heretical beliefs and rituals, such as ritualised cursing of the Sahaba and of course their belief in the corruption of the Qur’an.
- Believing in the corruption and distortion of the Qur’an is a matter from the necessity of the Shia sect.
- The likes of Ibn Babawayh al-Qummi (‘al-Saduq’) that many Shia apologists love to quote (as he did not believe in the distortion of the Qur’an) had illusions in believing that the Qur’an has NOT been corrupted and distorted.
The hypocrisy and double standards:
Even if the scholars of the Shia are split on the issue of Tahrif (corruption of the Qur’an). The belief of Tahrif is what is most in like with the sect as it is dominant in their books of narrations, and the narrations are mutawatir (in tawatur form i.e. mass-transmitted). The Shia scholars who affirmed Tahrif are most in line with their books. M. Baqir al-Majlisi, the top Hadith scholars of the Shia sect is also known as the head of Tashih (reference for checking the authenticity of narrations), he himself affirmed the tawatur of Tahrif of the Qur’an as per mass-transmitted Shia narrations and reason, Ni’matullah al-Jaza`iri (another scholars in post-Safawi Persia/Iran) affirmed it as well.
M. Baqir al-Majlisi also said that Shia narrations that speak of the corruption and distortion of the very text of the Qur’an area at the same level as narrations that support the Shia belief in Imamah. There are over 1000 (Shia) Hadiths confirming speaking of the corruption of the Qur’an. If the Hadiths of Tahrif in Shia books are rejected by sensible Shias, then they are no longer in any position to object why their entire collections of Hadiths should be rejected from A-Z as the same liars who attributed the lie of the distortion of the Qur’an to the Ahl al-Bayt, narrated also others lies and exaggerations (Imamah, Wilayah, ‘Ismah, Ghuluw etc.).
More bizarre and disturbing is that rejecting the romanticised and mythical belief in Wilayah and Imamah (divine authority and leadership of ‘Ali and his eleven descendants) of the creation i.e. the Shia Imams, constitutes Kufr (or at least a form of Kufr even according to the most lenient opinion). Top Shia scholars like al-Hilli (7th century A.H.) went even further and stated that rejecting Imamah is worse than rejecting Prophethood!
So clearly, if someone would accuse any of the Ahl al-Bayt of corruption, that person would be a Kafir and a Nasibi, enemy of the Ahl al-Bayt. What about the Qur’an? What is the ruling on those who have accused the Qur’an of corruption? Well, disbelieving in the intactness and correctness of the Qur’an, even going over the top and championing the belief in the distortion of the Qur’an is a mere mistake to those Shia scholars and their followers who don’t believe (officially…) in the corruption of the Qur’an.
Essentially, the words of the creator are of less value than the creation (Ahl al-Bayt), or in other words, accusing the Qur’an of corruption is excusable and at worst a mistake and a mere Ijtihad (yes, the same concept Shia polemicists often love to mock when it comes to the Sahaba…) but some Sahaba being involved in a battle (in times of confusion and Fitnah) with ‘Ali [r] is of course inexcusable and the highest form of Kufr/disbelief and Takfir is justified. The lesser of the two heavy things (the ‘Itra, Ahl al-Bayt) has more sanctity than word of Allah, the book of Allah, the Qur’an, these are the double standards of the heretical Rafida who always brag about Qur’an and ‘Itra/Ahl al-Bayt, yet according to their religion the Qur’an is corrupted and the ‘Itra is hidden and represented by fallible Ayatullats in Qum who can’t master the first three verses of al-Fatihah with basic Tajwid, losers in this and the next world.
May Allah guide us and truth-seeking Shias to what pleases Him.